The Port Townsend Wednesday Farmers Market Opens Today!
The Port Townsend Wednesday Farmers Markets opens today! Join us at our new Wednesday market location, the Jefferson Transit Haines Place Park and Ride from 2 to 6pm. Our opening ceremony will take place at 2pm with a red ribbon cutting by the Port Townsend and Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce, Jefferson Transit Authority General Manager, Tammi Rubert, and Jefferson County Farmers Market Director, Amanda Milholland. Please join us in celebration!
If you haven't been to the Park and Ride before, it is easy to find, at the corner of 12th/Haines Place and Landis Streets, next to the Safeway. Here is a map. The Park and Ride is accessible from all over Port Townsend as well as Jefferson County. Try transit to the farmers market. Wednesday Market regulars, our new location is also an easy walk or bike ride from uptown. Have you been to Kahi Tai Lagoon recently? There is a great trail right through the park to the Park and Ride. If you would prefer to drive we also have plenty of parking available.
What is Power of Produce (POP) Club? The Jefferson County Farmers Markets have partnered with other local nonprofits to bring children fun and engaging weekly learning activities at the Port Townsend Wednesday and Chimacum Farmers Markets. Through play, food tastings, and hands-on activities, POP Club introduces children to where our food comes from, how it grows, and who grows it as well as fun ways to eat healthy and local. While club registration is restricted to children between the ages of five and 12, kids of all ages can participate in the activities. After participating in POP activities, registered POP kids get $2 weekly for fresh fruit and vegetables good at any of our county farmers markets. POP Club is sponsored by the First Federal Community Foundation, Port Townsend Chiropractic, and Chimacum Corner Farmstand. Kids, bring your parent or guardian, sign up for POP Club, and come play with your food with us!
We hosted our first day of POP Club at the opening day of the Chimacum Farmers Market, June 3. While it was a very rainy day, POP Club brought play to market. Kids, families and friends enjoyed live music by Harmonica Pocket, a special kid menu tasting featuring delicious roasted carrots with yummy Mystery Bay goat cheese prepared by Chef Dan Ratigan and team at the Fireside Restaurant at the Port Ludlow Inn, and fun food and farm stories by Martha Ashenfelter at the Jefferson County Library.
Kids, join us today for POP Club. Come see how plants work with the Organic Seed Alliance. They will lead flower dissection starting at 2:30pm. Following the Organic Seed Alliance, Chef Arran Stark of Jefferson Healthcare will fix up something yummy that is both kid and adult friendly using seasonal produce.
Read the upcoming events section below for more information about our opening day lineup as well as other upcoming market happenings.
The following vendors will be joining us for our first Wednesday market:
Cape Cleare Fishery
Chimacum Valley Dairy
Hopscotch Farm + Cannery
Hurricane Hills Winery
Mountain Spirit Herbal Company
Pane d'Amore Artisan Bakery
River Run Farm
Willow Wind Farm
Joining us later in the season:
SpringRain Farm & Orchard
See you at the Market! Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday! ~ Amanda
- June 6th, 2-6pm, Port Townsend Wednesday Farmers Market Opening at Jefferson Transit's Haines Place Park and Ride
- 2pm Red ribbon cutting with the Port Townsend and Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce
- 2:30-3:30pm POP kids dissect flowers with the Organic Seed Alliance
- 3:30pm Chef demo with Arran Stark
- Live music by Anne O and Her Band and POP Club registration
- WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program voucher distribution with Jefferson County Public Health
- June 9, 9am-2pm, Port Townsend Saturday Farmers Market, Tyler Street
- June 10, 10am-2pm, Chimacum Farmers Market, Chimacum Corner Farmstand
- POP Club activity make your own worm home with Amy, Jefferson County Farmers Markets
- June 13, 2-6pm, Port Townsend Wednesday Farmers Market, Jefferson Transit Haines Place Park and Ride
- POP Club activity veggie bingo with the YMCA
- June 16, 9am-2pm, Port Townsend Saturday Farmers Market, Tyler Street
- WIC and Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program voucher distribution with Jefferson County Public Health and OlyCAP
From Our Vendors
Red Dog Farm has new items popping up every week! Chards, broccolini and a variety of radishes are new this week. We also have an expanding selection of head lettuce, as well as arugula and rosemary. Other highlights are basil, cilantro and the last of the garlic scapes. See you Saturday and Sunday!
Photo by David Conklin, kid's activities at Artisan Food Festival