Janet Aubin, Co-manager of Finnriver Farm, started her path toward farming at a farmers market. As a high school exchange student in Costa Rica, Janet loved helping her host family shop for the week's food at the local farmers market. She loved the vibrant community of farmers and shoppers that gathered, seeing the variety of fruits and vegetables available, and eating truly fresh food all week long.
Janet, a Port Townsend native, attended university in Minneapolis, where she studied geography. In the classroom she connected the study of place to the importance of working land and land stewardship. Also in Minneapolis, Janet worked for a food coop where she met Jeff Horwath, a farmer and the produce manager at the same food coop. Jeff and Janet fell in love and moved back to Jefferson County together.
The couple was excited to join Finnriver Farm and Cidery owners, Keith and Crystie Kisler, in starting the Finnriver Cidery and food production at Finnriver Farm. As a new farmer, Janet found that, "Working the land was an active form of land conservation." She loves accomplishing her goals for land stewardship while caring for and growing food in her home community.
Jeff and Janet now run the 33 acre Finnriver Farm as a separate but interconnected business from Finnriver Cidery. They tend 2,000 blueberry plants, mixed vegetables, chickens, ducks and pigs. This weekend find kale, lettuce, kohlrabi, apples, pears, winter squash, and eggs fresh from Finnriver Farm at the Port Townsend Saturday and Chimacum Sunday Farmers Markets.
See you at the market! ~ Amanda
SpringRain Made the Finals!
SpringRain Farm & Orchard wants to thank all of you who voted for us in the Kitsap Bank Edg3 Fund competition. Thanks to you, we made it to the finals!!! The bank told us you "blew the doors off the online voting". The next step is a live event on November 16th at 5:30 in the Kitsap Conference Center where John will give a pitch as to why we should get the money. We'd love to see some friendly faces if you can attend. We will find out the winner that night.
In the meantime, we still have lovely heirloom tomatoes at the market. John says he doesn't know how much longer we will have them. We also have lovely mixed salad greens and our Red Kitten Spinach is back! It is sweet and perfect for salads. See you at the market.
Upcoming Market Events
- Saturday, October 7, 9 am- 2 pm, Tyler Street, Port Townsend Farmers Market, Live Music by Matt Sircely from 10 am- 1:45 pm
- Sunday, October 8, 10 am- 2 pm, Chimacum Corner Farmstand, Chimacum Farmers Market
- Saturday, October 14, 9 am- 2 pm, Tyler Street, Olympic Peninsula Apple & Cider Festival featuring chef demo by Jefferson Healthcare's Executive Chef, Arran Stark, and percussion by Artis the Spoonman at the Port Townsend Farmers Market
- Sunday, October 15th, 10 am- 2 pm, Chimacum Farmers Market at Chimacum Corner Farmstand and World Apple Day at Finnriver Cidery
- Sunday, October 29th, 10 am- 2 pm, Chimacum Corner Farmstand, Season Closing Day of the Chimacum Farmers Market
Olympic Apple and Cider Festival Schedule
October 13th - 15th 2017
Friday, October 13
The Firestarter, A Cider Feast
A 5-course dinner with seasonal foods and delicious ciders. At Finistere, uptown Port Townsend, 6:30 pm- 10 pm
Saturday, October 14
Port Townsend Farmers Market, 9 am- 2 pm
A special apple-themed performance and chef demo by Arran Stark and Artis the Spoonman, 9:45 am- 11:30 am
Hard Cider Tasting Festival
Featuring 40+ varieties of cider, cider pressing, bottle shop, music, food, and fun
at The Palindrome, Eaglemount Wine and Cidery, 1 pm- 5 pm
After-party at Propolis Brewing
Food trucks, fire show, and dance party!, 5 pm- 10 pm
Sunday, October 15
Open houses at participating cideries, distilleries, and tap-rooms. Hours vary throughout the day.
- Hard Cider Q&A: bring your cider and talk to a panel of experienced cider makers.
- Orchard and Cider House Tour: learn about organic orchard management and equipment for cider production.
- Apple Pressing Demonstration: led by Ryall Schallenberger of NW Mobile Juicing
at Alpenfire Cidery, 11 am- 2 pm
Live Music featuring Joy in Mudville
at Eaglemount Winery, 2 pm- 5 pm
Finnriver World Apple Day
A community celebration, live music, pizza, dancers, bagpiper, apple experts, and cotton candy!
at Finnriver Farm & Cidery, 2 pm- 8 pm
Tickets and information available at: