Do you ever find yourself or maybe your child making music in the kitchen? It starts with the clink of a spoon against your mixing bowl or when you grab two pots and they brush together with a metallic sound, like cymbals. Maybe cooking makes your dance and sing. We sure have an abundance of delicious, locally grown and produced food to inspire singing!
For musical inspiration for your cooking come to the Port Townsend Farmers Market this Saturday. As part of the Olympic Peninsula Apple and Cider Festival, the Port Townsend Farmers Market is hosting a chef demonstration that brings the art of music making together with that of cooking. The talented kitchen percussionist, Artis the Spoonman, will join forces with Chef Arran Stark of Jefferson Healthcare. Stark, also a musician, will cook up something special for us featuring local apples with musical accompaniment by Spoonman.
American street performer, Artis the Spoonman, uses spoons as musical instruments. He is a frequent performer at the Pike Place Market in Seattle but has also performed nationally with his collection of spoons of different shapes and sizes. In Jefferson County, many folks know Artis for his local performances dating back as far back as my childhood. However, he is best known nationally for his collaborations with Soundgarden and Frank Zappa. Check out this video and get excited for this weekend!
This weekend as part of the Olympic Peninsula Apple and Cider Festival, our local cideries and a handful of other artisan food and drink makers are hosting apple and cider-themed events celebrating the region and season. Be sure to check out the other cider and apple events and visit the Port Townsend Farmers Market where rhythm meets apples.
See you at the market! ~ Amanda
Upcoming Market Events
- Saturday, October 14, 9 am- 2 pm, Tyler Street, Olympic Peninsula Apple & Cider Festival featuring chef demo by Jefferson Healthcare's Executive Chef, Arran Stark, and percussion by Artis the Spoonman at the Port Townsend Farmers Market
- Sunday, October 15th, 10 am- 2 pm, Chimacum Farmers Market at Chimacum Corner Farmstand and World Apple Day at Finnriver Cidery
- Saturday, October 21st, 9 am- 2 pm, Tyler Street, Port Townsend Farmers Market with live music by Tootsweet from 10 am- 1:45 pm
- Saturday, October 28th, 9 am- 2 pm, Tyler Street, Port Townsend Farmers Market with Last Day of Outdoor Live Music for the Season by Ashley Kramer from 10 am- 1:45 pm
- Sunday, October 29th, 10 am- 2 pm, Chimacum Corner Farmstand, Season Closing Day of the Chimacum Farmers Market